The Minnesota State Fair, also referred to as the Great Minnesota Get-Together, starts today. For the next 12 days, from Thursday through Labor Day, all the fun and talk in Minnesota will be around the Fair. If you plan to visit the State Fair, I invite you to stop by and visit the MnDOT booth in the Education Building. The theme this year is “Get Connected: How Transportation Affects YOU.”
Here is what you can do or get at the MnDOT booth:
- Ask questions about transportation-related topics, wondering about a road project near you or how to drive a roundabout?
- View the display that highlights how transportation improvements along busy corridors help the economy by keeping traffic and freight moving; how use of innovative technology on projects shortens traffic impact and improves safety; and how the projected growth of traffic and freight during the next 15 years will affect the state’s aging infrastructure.
- Sit in the “rest area” of MnDOT’s booth to view short videos depicting a range of transportation projects and innovations. These include showing a snow storm from the driver’s seat of a snowplow, seeing the Larpenteur Avenue Bridge slide into place through time-lapse photography to illustrating the impact to traffic when drivers use/don’t use the zipper merge.
- Get a free Official State Highway map or bicycle map.
- Win a MnDOT T-shirt or Minnesota transportation history book (Footpaths to Freeways) by completing a short survey and submitting it into a daily drawing.
In addition to MnDOT’s presence in the Education Building, MnDOT workers will be driving a snowplow in the State Fair’s daily 2 p.m. parade on Fridays and Wednesday (Aug. 22, 27 and 29)