If you are thinking about giving your young children cell phones, you should read this article titled Cell Phones & Wi-Fi―Are Children, Fetuses and Fertility at Risk? on Dr. Mercole’s website first.
The article talks about the danger of cell phones & Wi-Fi, especially on children. It shares some safety tips on cell phone & Wi-Fi Use.
- Children should not play with radiating cell phones. Young children should not use cell phones except in an emergency. While you can put the phone in ‘airplane mode,’ which disconnects it from Wi-Fi and the Internet, the cell phone still emits magnetic fields from the battery, which have also been shown to have equally important biological consequences.
- In no cases should children sleep with cell phones.
- Extreme caution was advised for pregnant women or women hoping to conceive due to the profound long-term impact of environmental factors.
- Limit or eliminate Wi-Fi exposures. If you have a WI-Fi router make sure your router is a low power version, not in a high-use area and keep it turned off as much as possible. Consider putting it on a timer so it is only available during certain hours, and never during sleeping hours.
- Schools should not have Wi-Fi. Cabled/wired connections do not pose the same risks. If there is Wi-Fi, again, it should be limited to the time when the Wi-Fi is specifically needed and not be operating at other times. Ideally, classrooms and school libraries and gyms should be WiFi-free.
- Resume using landline phones whenever possible. Get rid of your portable phone and use your landline. At the very least, don’t keep your cell phone in your bedroom while you sleep. Be aware even landline phones emit magnetic fields from the speaker, and sensitive people can sometimes feel them, especially on long calls and particularly when using trim phones. Old-fashioned desk phone earpieces offer a greater distance between the speaker and your ear that can make a meaningful difference.
- Keep your cell phone away from your body. Avoid keeping it in your pocket or on your belt. If you’re pregnant, keep your cell phone away from your belly. Keep your phone at the other end of the room or on the seat of the car. Use texting more than talking. A cell phone case for the iPhone is available that filters out a significant portion of radiation (but by no means all the power and frequencies and other biologically disruptive signal characteristics also remain). There are several options for shielded cell phone cases and holsters at www.EMFSafetyStore.com.
- Use a wired earpiece or headphones with cell phones. Like with landline phones, some people are impacted by the magnetic fields from the speaker in the ear buds, so choose a model with the greatest distance from your ear, or use air tube technology with no electronics near your ear.
- Use caution using your cell phone in your car. Signals bounce around inside your vehicle, and your head is the antenna.
- Opt-out of new utility meters called ‘smart meters.’ Prevent smart meters from being installed in your home whenever possible.
- Avoid using wireless baby monitors, as they all operate on microwave frequency. Look for the old wired monitors.
- Know your exposures. You or your community can purchase an RF meter for about $500 to measure the RF in homes, schools, churches, etc. See www.EMFSafetyStore.com.
- Support labeling laws that require cell phone manufacturers to list radiation levels in an obvious place on the packaging and at the retailer.