In the United States there are 78 million Baby Boomers (born between 1946 – 1964) who have already retired or will retire in a few years.
How do you live a rich and meaningful life in retirement? What do you do to live longer, stronger and happier?
Peter Spiers, Senior Vice President of Road Scholar, tries to answer that question in his book Master Class: Living Longer, Stronger, and Happier.
The book provides a road map for baby boomers to live an active and enriching lifestyle. Research shows that socializing, moving, thinking, and creating are keys to fulfillment in the retirement years. Spiers’ “Master Way of Life” is built on these four key dimensions —socializing, moving, thinking, and creating. His Master Class offers a holistic approach to blending these four dimensions through 31 master activities.
1. Socializing Activities:
- Scheduled socializing
- Participating in a book club
- Volunteering as a decent
- Playing bridge
- Working part-time
2. Moving Activities:
- Walking with friends for exercise
- Playing tennis
- Bicycling with friends for exercise
- Group educational travel
- Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity
3. Thinking Activities:
- Joining a Lifelong Learning Institute
- Writing poems, books, memoirs or family histories
- Researching your family’s genealogy
- Learning a foreign language
- Starting a business
- Joining an investment club
- Maintaining a website or blog
4. Creating Activities:
- Learning a musical instrument
- Playing in a band or an ensemble
- Singing in a choir
- Pursuing digital photography
- Joining a play-reading group
- Participating in community theater
- Pursuing an art or a craft
- Pursuing an advanced degree
- Volunteering in a consulting role (e.g., SCORE)
- Volunteering in a teaching role
- Volunteering in a leadership role
The book is largely based on research and interviews with Road Scholar participants.
Road Scholar is a not-for-profit, life-long learning and educational travel institution. Road Scholar programs operate in every state in the US and n 150 countries around the world.