Forgiveness is something everyone needs in life, whether asking for forgiveness because we have done someone wrong or extending forgiveness because someone has done us wrong.
Pastor Merritt says forgiveness is choosing to let something go, for the sake of relationship, even though we might be wronged. Nothing is more powerful than forgiveness. And nothing penetrates the human heart more than real, heart-wrenching, life-giving forgiveness.
Forgiveness is not:
- Ignoring or excusing someone’s sin
- Continuing the relationship
Why should we forgive?
- Our forgiveness of others is forgiveness for us
- Our forgiveness of others is freedom for us
- Our forgiveness of others is believing in God who is just
Forgiveness is primarily for ourselves, is to set us free, instead of carrying a baggage around. Pastor Merritt uses a mountain of trash to illustrate the heavy burden we carry if we don’t forgive.
Whom can you forgive or ask for forgiveness today?