This is Day 20 of Live a Healthier Life in 21 Days Challenge.
Today’s task is super easy for me. I don’t drink coffee, soda or alcohol anyway. I never had the habit of drinking these. I usually just drink water. Only on rare occassions I try a little bit of coffee at parties.
Speaking of soda, I would like to share the following info I got a long time ago. I am not sure who wrote it, maybe it’s from Wayne Green, an interesting guy I heard on Coast2Coast AM Radio. And I am not sure how true it is. But I think there is a lot of truth in it. It seems that Coke serves better as a cleaning product than a drink. I hope after you read it, you will consider quitting your soda habit. At least it will make you think twice before you drink coke next time.
- The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It’s pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.
- To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.
- In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
- You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
- To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl…Let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean.
- The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
- To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
- To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
- To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
- To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan; wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
- To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
- The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!
- One can of Coke gives you 12 teaspoons of sugar, an addictive, deadly slow poison; plus caffeine, a faster addictive poison, plus its mystery ingredients; plus whatever aluminum is dissolved from the can by this highly corrosive liquid. Scientists questioning Alzheimer’s patients say they don’t remember how much cola they drank.
- Think what coke and other soft drinks do to your teeth on a daily basis. A tooth will dissolve in a cup of coke in 24-48 hours. And that doesn’t count any aluminum you get from the cans. That also doesn’t count the effect that the 12 teaspoons of sugar you get with each can are going to do to your body.
- When we get thirsty and turn to soda and coffee, it causes a net loss waterwise. This dehydrates our cells, weakening our immune system, setting up the stage for cancer, high blood pressure, and so on.
In summary, Coke is fine for cleaning toilets and car engines. Like other cleaners, it just should never be swallowed. As one author said in the following article, “Avoiding soda can be the best thing you can do for your teeth, your waistline, and your overall health.”
If you have to drink soda, drink it all at once, and not sip it all day long. Rinse your mouth with water immediately afterward.
There is a lot of information on the Internet about the effects of soda on your health. Here are just a couple of links.
The following is from the 21DHL Forum.
Day 20: Have a Caffeine-Free Day
I used to be a huge soda drinker when I was young. It wasn’t until several years ago that I decided to cut it out once and for all. And I’m glad I did that, because in retrospect I was taking in so much chemicals including caffeine into my body with every drink. Today, getting my fluid intake via water and natural fruits has really rejuvenated my life and my thinking.
I wrote about the negative effects of caffeine before in 5 Reasons TO Quit Drinking Soda Drinks and How To Do It
Quote:Caffeine… is a diuretic. A diuretic is a drug that speeds up the rate of urine production – meaning it removes water from your body. While you can get your thirst quenched when drinking Coke, you do not get as hydrated as compared to if you just drink pure water.
Not only that, Caffeine is also a psychoactive stimulant drug. What is a psychoactive stimulant drug?
Quote:…It affects the central nervous system and alters brain function, resulting in temporary changes in perception, mood, consciousness and behavior. By increasing the levels of adrenaline (a stress hormone) in your body, you end off setting off feelings of anxiety and tension in your body. Instead of being able to operate as a fully conscious being, you end up having less control of your thoughts, emotions and behavior.
I noticed that whenever I do drink Coca-Cola or soda, my mental thinking is not as clear. It feels as though my thoughts become more rapid, jumbled and haphazard. Even though I’m supposedly more alert, I’m not fully in control of the higher faculties of my mind. It feels more like my mind is operating by itself and my conscious self is only allowed to observe in the background to give limited inputs. If this was in the past where I was drinking Coke every day, I would never have been able to make this observation. However, drinking Coke after being Coke/soda-free for many months made the contrast very stark to me.
While you may appreciate caffeine for keeping you awake for a particular morning meeting or presentation, bear in mind that the boost is only temporary and at the expense of the natural functions of your mind. While you may feel more alert after a dose of caffeine, it is just a stimulated feeling. Whenever I consume caffeine, I feel like my mind has been pried awake beyond its desires. Even though the lights are on in my brain, I can only perform low level tasks which do not require much thinking. Higher functions of my mind seem to be beyond me. I pretty much feel like a zombie walking around with limited mental capacities and a body heavy as lead.
To make things worse, after the initial effects wear off, I am left with a state of fatigue worse than before since I was denying your body of the rest it deserved. To quote Jacob Teitelbaum, “Caffeine is an energy loan shark. What it lends you in the morning it takes back with heavy interest in the afternoon.”
Not only that, most caffeine drinks are colored, which makes them stain your teeth too. Not exactly helpful if you’re trying to get pearly whites!
Hence for today, let’s go for a day without caffeine!
Common drinks with caffeine:
- Energy drinks
- Alcohol by itself does not have caffeine, but a lot of alcoholic drinks have it
After today, I challenge you to try going caffeine free from just a day to a week, and see how it feels. And from a week, to a month. In not drinking caffeine, you may find some new things about yourself that you didn’t notice from before.