Best place to live for senior citizens

I visited my cousin and his wife in Beijing. They are both retired and empty nested.

My cousin used to be a diplomat. He worked for the Chinese Foreign Ministry and the United Nations. He and his wife had lived in other countries such as United States, Swizerland in North America, Europe and Asian. Their only son lives in the US.

Now they enjoy their retirement years and have a very active live in Beijing. They say it’s the best place to live for elderly people, with a lot of opportunities and convenience for living.

China offers free public transportation for senior citizens. With their IDs, they get free rides.

China has universities for senor citizens where they can take classes and learn new things. You can learn a new instrument, painting, crafting, cooking, etc.

Both of them are busy doing crossstitches.

Every morning elderly people gather in parks or on the streets to do things together, exercising, dancing, Qigong, playing instruments, chatting, etc.

Restaurants, supermarkets and convenient stores are everywhere. You can walk to any places. Subways and bus stops are all within walking distance.

My cousin’s wife said she doesn’t want to live in the US or other countries. "I can’t stand the loneliness there. My home is in China. It’s the best place to live for senior citizens."

14 Responses to Best place to live for senior citizens

1. Mauricio says:

This is my first time go to see at here and i am truly impressed to read everthing at one place.

2. buy says:

When someone writes an paragraph he/she maintains the thought of a user
    in his/her mind that how a user can know it. Thus that’s why this paragraph is amazing. Thanks!

3. Queen says:

I have always admired the Chinese peope on how that take care of the seniors. I live in the US & i do not want to move to China, but it was nice to read about how your country has for seniors. I am a senior & retired in 2010, but i have a lot of friends & we have lots of things for senors to do. Sometime you have to come out of your box to
    meet new friends. I enjoyed reading about what China has for seniors citizens in that
    country, would love to visit, but cannot afford it. That’s ok, i love to read.

• felton says:

I’m living in the Philippines and I want to go back to the US but I don’t know how and where to start as I ave no one and nothing there. I’m a senior citizen

4. la vie, c'est dur says:

this comment is not for Tang, it’s for Como Park Garden Lady. Tang has asked that I not make any comments regarding her posts, whether friendly or unfriendly. and I respect that.but I do check in once in awhile to see if others are posting comments, so chanced on CPGL’s peurile rant. if Tang objects (even tho’ my comments are not directed to her) she can remove my post or even complain to the Forum Comm people. whatever. anyway back to Garden Lady. nobody said that life, whether for the elderly or others, is always a bed of roses in the US. ours, as I think I have pointed out, is a highly indivualistic, atomistic society in which children often float far away from their parents and grandparents and other relatives. i have, like Garden Lady, met my share of very lonely, alienated old folks. and nursing homes are far from ideal but there are many situations in which they are an only, if sad, option. yet, on balance, I certainly prefer living here to living in China. So much for that: what really caught my attention was Garden Lady’s comment about allowing folks to have as many children as they want. apparently Garden Lady approves of China’s inhumane, coercive population control policies. perhaps she thinks (like the late M. Sanger of Planed Parenthood fame) that people here should get child bearing permits from the government. and that some elite folks (like Garden Lady) should decide who is to have children and who should not. GL also talks about “theory,” a reference I asume to any notion of objective standards of morality. but, of course, GL obviously has here own notion of some objective moral code (perverse as it might be)which she thinks can/should be foisted on others. as to the millions of Indian children, I wonder if GL could tell us where she got that “information”. or did it just spring from her perfervid imagination? in fine, it seems that with friends like Garden Lady, Tang doesn’t need enemies.

5. la vie, c'est dur says:

you betcha. maybe our individualistic, nomadic society is not the best place in the world in which to grow old. but I don’t think that life is too cozy in China, either. how about the forced abortions, the high suicide rate (especially among women), the corruption (which you yourself have mentioned), the lagoi, governmental repression in general, rural poverty, pollution (my son has been there and witnessed it first hand). maybe there are a lot of “opportunities” for old folks. there are here, too. I know: I availed myself of many of them. and lonely? how many lonely old folks and others when the full impact of the one child policy sets in. get real, lady.

• Como Park Garden Lady says:

I find your reply to Ms. Tang’s post to be rather nasty; particularly the “get real lady” sentence you closed your post with. Ms.Tang was not being critical of the U.S. although you certainly availed yourself of an “anonymous”opportunity to critique China (which has , in case you did not know, spent years subsidizing the spend-thrift habits of my fellow Americans ).
      Many came to the U.S. to find a “better” life. Some did. Many did not. We have millions of native born Americans losing their homes, losing their health insurance, losing their jobs, etc. When a major disaster occurs in major U.S. cities we see slow, if any help to arrive.We see looters, rapists and murderers running wild. And then we see the carpet baggers swoop in,as they did in Louisiana and double the prices on everything from dry wall to light sockets.
      We allow anyone to have as many children as they irresponsibly want to/can without regard to whether or not those innocent children will be properly clothed, schooled, fed or parented, while people like you care more for children in theory .
      We do not honor our elderly here. Most people can’t be bothered to call their elderly parents daily/weekly, let alone spending any real time with them. Most are shuttled off to “nursing homes” to be given the bare minimum of care by strangers being paid the bare minimum in wages. I know that from seeing it first hand as a volunteer.
      We may have had more material wealth here, but that is coming to an end. The “me first” mentality spilled over into our elected officials who have allowed our nation’s wealth to be plundered by 2% of the population,while most of my fellow citizens care more about the lives of reality T.V. personalities.
      We may have had less pollution than China, but alas, China has a history of over 6,000 years; look what we have done to our North American lands in less than 300 years ( let alone nearly wiping out the original indigenous populations with state sanctioned genocide…where is your concern for the millions of Native American babies that died? ).
      I respect my elders. I respect the earth and *all* the life upon it.I also respect a culture that goes back thousands of years. We can learn a lot from our “elders”.

Como Park Garden Lady,
        Thanks much for your comment and support. I really appreciate it that you took the time to write even though we don’t know each other.

6. Marian Schvart says:

I’m 72 yars old.Originaly I’m from Romania.I move in USA with my wife and our childrens in 1981.We work hard and we do’nt realize how fest the time goes on.After my dother pass the way in 2008 from breast cancer,we feel vary lonly.American people is nice people but my self &my wife steel feel like in there country,not in ours.Grand kildrens are Americans,our dother in low is an american ,but me and my wife never will be.I sincirely regret the decision to move in this country,but now is too late.I admire the chinase people how them live and how they take care of ther senior people.I take my het of and i’m sorry I’not one of them. Best regards Marian

Dear Marian,

I am sorry that your daughter passed away in 2008. It must be very hard for you.

Being a senior citizen is lonely no matter where you live. But it does help if you live in your own country where you have lots of relatives and friends.
      Being an immigrant is lonely because you don’t have the roots here which means you don’t have many relatives and friends around you. In addition there are language, cultural and other difficulties or differences.
      Being a parent who lost a child is also lonely.

I can feel your sadness and regret.

My parents visited me and lived here for a few years. Now they are back in China. They can live a better life in China. They wish I were in China. In a way, they regretted that I left China and now we are so far apart. From your and my parents’ perspectives, I can understand the regrets.

But regrets can’t bring your daughter back and can’t make your situation better.

You worked hard and now it’s time to enjoy life. I hope you and your wife take good care of yourselves, make the best out of the current situation, and do the best you can to live the rest of your lives in comfort and peace.

Best,

7. [...] My cousin who took us to the Park goes there every day to practice a Chinese music instrument with an instructor and a group of students. I talked about her in a previous post - Best place to live for senior citizens. [...]

8. [...] My cousin who took us to the Park goes there every day to practice a Chinese music instrument with an instructor and a group of students. I talked about her in a previous post - Best place to live for senior citizens. [...]

9. Avatar of Qin Tang Qin Tang says:

Wilma,
    Thanks for your stopping by and leaving comments.

10. Wilma Seville says:

Good Morning, Qin Tang,

I enjoyed reading about your cousin’s retirement and how it is for them in China. My brother and his wife, both professors, are currently in China teaching. It is always good to learn about different parts of this world and how the people live. Thank you for writing about it.